Oh, oatmeal. I kind of like you, kind of don’t.
Oatmeal is one of those foods that I am just “eh” about. Yes it is really good for you and helps to lower cholesterol, has a lot of fiber, and is one of those unprocessed carbohydrates straight from the earth (WIN).
But it can also be very plain Jane. Ya know?
The other issue I have with oatmeal is that it’s like this big ball of carbs in the morning and I am someone who likes a little protein to round it all out and keep me going throughout the first few hours of my day.
If you can relate to any of these “eh” feelings about oatmeal, fear no more. I have some solutions.
First, let’s discuss the boring issue. Nobody should have a plain Jane breakfast. Breakfast should be delicious, exciting and sexy.
The great thing about oatmeal is that you can dress it up big time. Here, I’ve added in cinnamon, vanilla almond milk, a banana, coconut, and some new-to-me AMAZING peanut butter called “Coconut and Peanut Spread” by Earth Balance. Have you guys seen this before? It caught my eye at the grocery story and I was transported to another place when I tried it. It is SO good and will make you feel like you’re in the tropics. Really.
Next, let’s discuss the protein issue. To get in some extra protein, I stirred in about 1/4 cup of egg whites at the last second while cooking the oats. This not only gave me a protein boost but it made my oats super FLUFFY. Yum.
Additionally, adding a spoonful of peanut butter also adds in some protein. Sounds like a rounded out bowl of oats to me.
This oatmeal was neither plain Jane nor a heavy bowl of carbs. It was smooth, sweet, hearty, fluffy, well-rounded, and totally satisfying.
What are your thoughts on oats? Love them? Hate them? “Eh”?
See these other oatmeal recipes for more ideas:
Banana Coconut Protein Oats (serves 1)
- 1/2 cup dry oats- old fashioned or instant
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- spoonful of nut butter
- 1 T unsweetened coconut
- dashes of cinnamon
1. In a small sauce pan, add in the oats, water, milk, cinnamon and sliced banana pieces. Allow to come to a boil, then stir over medium/low heat until oats cook and absorb the liquid to your desired consistency. By adding in the banana in the beginning, it gives it time to break down and get really sweet.
2. Add in the egg white, and keep stirring for another minute or so while they cook into the oatmeal, making it fluffy!
3. Add to a bowl and top with coconut and nut butter. Additional cinnamon if you’d like!