Sooo, these are definitely the best cookies I have made to date. And yea, they are really really healthy.
Why do I like to make healthy cookies? (see below for more of my healthy cookie recipes)
Because I want to eat them every day. For snacks, for dessert, and as my friend said today “you can even eat these for breakfast, they are so good and healthy”.
After I made these, I tasted one straight out of the oven and almost lost my cool. I tripped over shoes, books and bags to grab the nearest notebook and pen to write down the recipe. I could not forget a single ingredient. They were THAT good.
These have no butter.
No sugar. Just 1 Tablespoon of Maple Syrup and 1 Tablespoon of Honey.
They are whole wheat.
But you better bet they have chocolate.
They are simple. They are made of quality ingredients. They are good for you. And you can eat them any. time. you. want.
Something happened and I became good at sharing this week. I actually LOVED giving these to my friends. ‘Tis the season, after all. I loved carrying a few in a zip lock bag in my purse and surprising someone with cookies. I loved watching my friends try them, staring at them in anticipation as they chewed, and then getting their stamp of approval. I hope you try these and like them too!
Just one of the many ways I enjoyed them this week…with some almond butter before bed:
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 14 cookies)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oats (I used old fashioned, not quick oats, but you can use either)
- 1 banana, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mini morsel chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 T honey
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t vanilla extract
- dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix together dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon in a large bowl.
2. Heat up the banana in the microwave for 1 minute, until it is really soft and mushy. Beat in the egg and the applesauce. Beat together until smooth (see above picture). Add in honey, maple syrup and vanilla.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
4. Stir in chocolate chips. Form into cookie form and add to greased baking sheet.
5. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
Other healthy cookie recipes I have made: