Good morning! Today I am really excited to share this recipe with you. A few weeks ago, when I signed up to attend the Healthy Living Summit, I also signed up to receive a package of 10 items from WILD HARVEST, one of the sponsors of the HLS. They are hosting a breakfast recipe contest, and this will be my first recipe contest ever. I was really psyched when I received my box of goodies to cook with in the mail:
I received Cherry Vanilla Granola, Animal Crackers, Peanut Butter, Raisins, Salsa, Black Beans, Applesauce, Ginger and Cayenne Pepper. Thanks WILD HARVEST! My mission was to use at least three ingredients to create a tasty breakfast item.
In keeping in line with the way that I cook, I knew that I wanted to keep it healthy but also very simple. My mind started turning and after a few days, I landed on the idea of creating on-the-go breakfast bars. I am an on-the-go kind of girl, living in NYC and balancing a busy schedule, as I know many of my readers are. Therefore, breakfast bars seemed like the perfect idea.
I decided to use four WILD HARVEST ingredients: Applesauce, Cherry Vanilla Granola, Peanut Butter and Raisins. I used a banana bread base and added in greek yogurt for some protein. This needed to be a breakfast bar that covered all of its bases, protein and all. I also challenged myself to not use any sugar. I typically do not like starting my day off on a sugary foot, so I wanted to make sure my creation stayed in line with that.
I started by mixing all of the ingredients together. All of them in one big bowl. I know that proper baking probably says to mix the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients, but I just do it all together 🙂 One less bowl to clean!
Once my base was created, I spread it into a greased baking pan, heated up the peanut butter so that it was melty, and drizzled it on top. Followed by the granola:
Baked for about 30 minutes, and this was my product:
I immediately dug in, eager to try it out. I added a bit of greek yogurt to mine to round it out as a complete breakfast:
I am really excited about these bars. I carried them around in my purse for a couple of weeks and fed them to anybody who would try them. They were a hit, and I personally loved having them in my purse as a go-to snack at any time. I ended up making a second batch the next day, and now have about 20 of these bars individually wrapped in my freezer.
These are extremely healthy. They have no sugar. They have hardly any oil. They even have protein. They are completely whole wheat. They have fruit in them. Ok, I’ll stop. Just know they are healthy 🙂
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. They are a perfect way to kick off your day with a healthy and satisfying bite. They are also useful as snack bars, when you are running around and want to have something homemade and filling on-the-go.
Banana Peanut Butter & Granola Breakfast Bars:
(makes 12-15 bars, depending on size)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 very very ripe bananas
- 1 cup WILD HARVEST applesauce
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup WILD HARVEST cherry vanilla granola
- 3/4 cup WILD HARVEST raisins
- 1/4 cup WILD HARVEST peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/8 cup oil (I used Olive Oil because it’s all I had on hand)
- 1/8 cup real maple syrup
- t baking soda
- Dashes of cinnamon and salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients together EXCEPT for peanut butter and granola.
3. Spread mixture into a greased baking pan.
4. Heat peanut butter in a small bowl in the microwave for about 30 seconds until it has melted. Drizzle on top of the mixture.
5. Add granola on top. Press it gently into your mixture so that it is slightly lodged into it.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes, but all ovens are different. My oven is temperamental, so just keep checking on your bars. Once you start smelling them in your home, check frequently. Stick a knife in them to make sure that they are cooked through and no longer wet on the inside. When I took mine out, they were still incredibly moist on the inside. This doesn’t mean they aren’t cooked through; they are just very moist. Allow to cool and enjoy!
*Please note that I received these free products from SUPERVALU INC. for the purpose of this contest and a blog entry.