So I just had to post these right now. I wasn’t even planning on posting these since they are so similar to these muffins, but I left these out to cool while I went to the park, came back, ate one, became totally giddy with excitement and knew I had to post.
I know that I JUST posted a Zucchini muffin recipe, but clearly I am on a zucchini kick. I think these are even better than the muffins and they have a little bit of a twist.. there is Chocolate! Oh thank god for that.
I want to call these compost cookies because they basically look like you turned a compost pile into a cookie, but they are SO darn good and SO incredibly healthy. I kind of laughed when I saw how they turned out because they just look wayyy too healthy. ha! 🙂
I like healthy cookies because you can use them as a snack. That is the purpose of these. They aren’t necessarily dessert cookies (well, they are to me… they just were my dessert, in fact), but they are an afternoon snack cookie or a cookie that you crumble in yogurt for breakfast or a side to your salad at lunchtime cookie.
These have no oil, no refined sugar, are 100% whole wheat (and bran) and have TWO veggies in them. Score! They also have just a little bit of chocolate and raisins for the sweetness factor. And of course a banana base which I always use to sweeten things up a bit too.
I hope these cookies don’t scare you. They are seriously delicious, I promise. I would probably serve these in the restaurant that I dream to have some day. They are to that level. Ok I think you get my point about how good these are. Next time I promise to be back with something other than zucchini 🙂
Compost Cookies: Zucchini/Carrot and Chocolate Chip
- 2 long carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 T butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 T egg whites
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 T honey
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- dash of cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Shred zucchini and carrots into a large bowl. Top with flour, wheat bran, baking powder/soda and cinnamon
3. Heat banana in microwave until mushy, about 1 minute. Add butter and egg whites. Stir stir stir until you have a liquid.
4. Pour liquid over the flour/veggie mixture. Stir everything together
5. Drizzle with maple syrup and honey, stir again.
6. Add in raisins and chocolate chips. Once again, mix well.
7. Pop in oven for about 20 minutes. DO NOT overcook. Take them out when they feel slightly doughy still. They’ll cool and settle and will still be super moist.