The other day I had some time to kill before a meeting I had on Wall Street, so I started strolling around the downtown streets. It was a rainy day but I had my umbrella with me, so figured I would use the time I had to be outside.
I stumbled across a farmers market and it immediately brought a smile to my face. I LOVE farmers markets.
I decided to pick up a couple of types of zucchini because I hadn’t see the Golden Zucchini before and it looks so pretty!
If only my client knew that I had three zucchini’s in my bag while I was talking to him for an hour 🙂 ha!
As I was walking home I was racking my brain about what to do with these guys. I wanted to do something interesting and fun instead of just slicing them up for a stir-fry which is what I would normally do with zucchini. My thoughts started turning to zucchini bread which my mom used to make us when we were kids, which then led me to zucchini muffins. I do have that wheat bran sitting in my cabinet unopened. Could I use that? YES. They HAD to be made and they had to be made now!
I dropped my stuff as soon as I walked into the door and got busy…
These muffins came out great. I was really skeptical at first when I pulled them out of the oven because they were SO doughy and moist in the inside. Are they done? Did I do something wrong? But after letting them cool and settle, they turned into moist banana bread-y muffins with plenty of healthy zucchini. I also used whole wheat flour and wheat bran so these muffins pack a huge nutritional punch.
To be honest, my sister taste tested them right out of the oven and thought they needed to be sweeter, but I personally like the sweetness level (sweetened only with honey, maple syrup and banana). Yes they definitely taste healthy, but I kinda like that 🙂
Whole Wheat Banana Bread Zucchini Raisin Muffins
(makes 12 muffins)
- 2.5 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 T butter
- 2 T honey
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t baking poweder
- 1 t baking soda
- dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Start with shredded zucchini in a bowl (just use a cheese grater). Add in whole wheat flour and wheat bran
3. In a separate bowl, heat up the bananas until they are soft and mashable. This should take about 2 minutes in a microwave. Add in butter so that it melts, and then whisk in the eggs. Stir bananas, eggs and butter together until it is mixed through.
4. Pour banana/butter/egg mixture on top of zucchini and flour mixture.
5. Add in raisins, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder/soda, spices
6. Stir all together. Line muffin pan with tins or just coat muffin pan with cooking spray.
7. Distribute mixture into muffin pan, bake for about 25 minutes at 325 degrees.
8. Allow to cool!