This one was truly a winner!
I love me some pasta. Always have, always will. It’s so filling and delicious and did I mention cheap?? I cooked up a huge batch of this and will have leftovers for the entire week.
Now, some people may question how healthy pasta is, and I know many of us are scared to get too close to it, but I don’t really avoid it at all. My trick is to load it up with veggies and to go whole wheat whenever possible.
Here, I chopped up an enormous zucchini, a carton of mushrooms, and a can of corn. Three delicious vegetables to add bulk to my pasta dish.
I would never omit the cheese, so I added both feta and parmesan, stirring it in while hot in order to make it all gooey and to bind it all together.
I topped my portion with an organic apple chicken sausage that I picked up at the grocery store, and we had a delightful, healthy and filling meal. Now, can someone come help me eat up all these leftovers??
Chiocciole with Zucchini and Chicken Sausage
- 1 bag whole wheat chiocciole or any other pasta
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carton mushrooms
- chicken sausage
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 can corn (no salt added)
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1/4 cup parmesan
1. Bring a large pasta pot full of water to a boil. Once boiling, add in bag of pasta and cook for 10 minutes.
2. While pasta is cooking, chop up zucchini and mushrooms and sauté on low heat in a frying pan.
3. After about 5 minutes, add the pasta sauce to the veggies. Add corn.
4. In a separate pan, sauté chopped chicken sausage. I only cooked one to top my portion, but you can cook several if you want them for the entire dish.
5. Once the pasta is done, drain it and return it to the pot. Add in sauce/veggie mixture.
6. Stir in feta and parmesan.
7. Top with chicken sausage and stir everything together.