My friend, Deva, had a Memorial Day BBQ and although I was running around like a crazy person that day, I was determined to bring something homemade. I quickly googled some recipes for homemade pita chips and it sounded like something I could put together in about 20 minutes… how perfect!
The pita chips and guac were a total hit. There were barely even crumbs left! And they were so easy to make and if I can flatter myself for a second, they were way better than Stacy’s Pita Chips.
All you do is roughly tear apart whole wheat pita bread, place it on a pan, sprinkle it with some spices and a little parmesan cheese, and pop them into a 350 oven for about 10 minutes.
For the guac, I mashed up a couple of avocados (with my hands of course), added salt, a couple of tomatoes and lemon juice. So simple. So good.
These will definitely be making several appearances throughout the summer. Another recipe success!
Whole Wheat Pita Chips (adapted from this recipe)
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 2 tablespoons EVOO (or less)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan
- garlic powder
1. Tear apart the whole wheat pitas and spread them on a baking sheet. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. Add a touch of EVOO to each pita wedge. There really doesn’t need to be a lot of oil at ALL so don’t overdo this. Let’s keep ’em healthy!
3. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, oregano, paprika.
4. Top with a sprinkle of parmesan.
5. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until crispy.
Super Simple Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed (with hands or fork)
- 2 vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tspn salt
- 1-2 tbspn fresh lemon juice
1. Combine all ingredients