I don’t think it is normal to get as excited as I did about these egg white muffins. But I was so excited to see these babies turn out!
This is a recipe I had bookmarked probably about two years ago as something I wanted to make. I am all about eggs, and if you remember from this post, I grew up eating eggs all the time. However, on work mornings, there is no way I have time to make eggs. It’s usually some combination of oatmeal, cereal, fruit and yogurt. So when I saw this recipe, I knew it was something I could make that would allow me to have an omelette of sorts on the weekdays.
I started by sauteing spinach and half a zucchini in a skillet with some cooking spray. After a few minutes, I put a few pieces of each into a lined muffin tray.
Then, I topped the veggies with liquid egg whites and sprinkled a few pieces of feta cheese on each:
Popped them into a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes and they were done and I was smiling ear to ear 🙂
These can be refrigerated for a few days and microwaved in the morning or just eaten as-is.
The only thing I would change next time is I wouldn’t use the paper muffin cups. These stuck a little to the paper, so next time I would just spray the muffin tin with cooking spray.
Otherwise, this recipe is a keeper!
Egg White Veggie Frittata Muffins
- About 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 a zucchini, chopped
- About 1 cup of egg whites (I used them out of a large container)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- cooking spray
1. Sautee the spinach and zuchini in a skillet with cooking spray for about 4 minutes until it cooks down.
2. Either line your muffin tray with muffin paper or spray down your muffin tray. As I mentioned, I used the muffin cups and had a bit of a hard time removing the muffins, so I’d recommend spraying down the tray instead.
3. Once the veggies are cooked, evenly distribute throughout muffin tray.
4. Top with egg whites until each muffin cup has about a 1/4 inch left. These don’t rise much, so you can pretty much fill each cup up.
5. Top with a sprinkle of feta.
6. Pop the tray into a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until the muffins are slightly crispy.
7. Allow to cool and then remove from tray.