Another quick meal here! On the weekends I’ve been cooking ahead as much as possible. I make sure to have at least one grain on hand, whether it be brown rice or pasta or quinoa. It just makes the busy weekdays that much easier.
I had some extra whole wheat orzo pasta pre-cooked (takes about 8 minutes to cook just like normal pasta), and diced up about 10 brussels sprouts. Trick: slice the brussels in 3 slices, instead of in half… it makes them cook faster. I sauteed them only for about 3 or 4 minutes and they were perfectly crispy and cooked through.
Add some butter and feta and you have yourself a healthy meal in minutes!
This would also make for great leftovers if you are looking for a lunch to pack for work or dinner for the week. Brussels are one of those vegetables that can last for several days once cooked.
Whole Wheat Orzo with Brussels Sprouts and Feta
- About 1 cup of cooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 5-10 Brussel Sprouts, depending on how large and just how many you would like!
- Cooking Spray or Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used Whipped)
- 2 tablespoons feta
1. Slice brussels sprouts lengthwise into 3 parts. This allows them to cook faster than if you were to just slice them in half.
2. Throw them into a coated skillet. Either coat with cooking spray or a teaspoon or so of olive oil. Add S&P to taste.
3. Cook brussels sprouts for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add brussels sprouts to cooked orzo pasta
5. Top with 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons feta and stir so the butter and feta get all melty 🙂