I love dessert. Love, love, love. If I could eat ice cream all day, I probably would. Luckily, I found a cookie that I can eat all day. These cookies are healthy, at least about as healthy as a cookie can get while still tasting good. I had been wanting to create a “healthier” cookie for years now, and finally just forced myself into the kitchen and did the darn thing.
These are more like chewy granola bar – ish cookies, but what I love about them is that they are perfect for an afternoon snack, pre/post workout substantive snack, or dessert. They are sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth but also healthy enough to be an anytime snack. In fact, these cookies have NO sugar. They are made with honey instead!
Healthy Oatmeal Honey Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups oats (I used quick/instant but either should be fine)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup oil (I used olive oil because its all I had on hand, but you could use vegetable or canola oil. I also only used 1/4 cup olive oil and then used a small container of cinnamon applesauce to replace the other 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp Molasses
- 1/4 cup egg whites (or 1 egg, but I used egg whites)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- A healthy dose of mini chocolate chips (maybe 1/3 cup)
- *I didn’t add this in when I made mine but I think a smashed up ripe banana would be great to add to the mixture for some sweetness!*
1. Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients together (honey and below). Then, combine all.
2. Cool the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
3. I added just a sprinkle of dry oats to dry the mixture up a bit, and to make the cookies look oaty and pretty.
4. Drop by teaspoons or tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet, depending on how large you want the cookies.
5. Bake at 335 for 15-20 minutes, checking on them with love 🙂
I’d suggest these with an afternoon cup of coffee, as a bite to take with you before a workout, or of course, for a satisfying dessert. Enjoy! 🙂